Descubre los mariscos más rentables del sector de la hostelería

What types of seafood are the most profitable in hospitality?

The hospitality sector is a significant contributor to the economy of the United States. To obtain optimal results in a hospitality business, it is important to know how to be guided by market trends and know how to choose quality products.

Although there are several aspects to take into account in the development of activities in the customer service industry, restaurant management, and hotel industries, in this article we will focus on the types of seafood that contribute the greatest profitability to the hospitality sector depending on its demand and the best catching season for an optimal quality.

Hospitality industry: The importance of Seafood

Prawns, lobster, crabs, Argentine shrimps, bivalve molluscs such as mussels, scallops… There are different kinds of shellfish and groups of crustaceans found on the seabed that are of great value to gastronomy. Shellfish and crustaceans are valued not only for their high nutritional content, such as omega 3 fatty acids, but they are considered a delicacy in the kitchen.

According to a study made by Nutrients in 2020, it is highlighted that the seafood market in the US is worth $102 billion and 65% of the consumer expenditures for seafood products were made at restaurants and other sources away from home. The other 35% were spent on seafood at home. 

Seafood consumption in the US: Most popular types of seafood

According to a recent report about the Progress Toward Sustainable Seafood, the most popular seafood commodities per capita in the US is shrimp. Focusing on the crustaceans and mollusks mentioned in this report, the most popular seafood following the shrimp are the crab and scallops.

Report 2022 seafood consumption US
Reference: CEA consulting. Progress Toward Sustainable Seafood report 2022.

Seasonal seafood: the best for catering depending on the season

Seasonal seafood is undoubtedly an excellent option for a hospitality business in search of quality, since it offers to enjoy the freshness and authentic flavor of seafood when it is at its best. The flavor and texture are superior compared to those found out of season.

For this, it is vitally important not only to know the type of shellfish most consumed in the country, but also to know the best time of the year in which they can be extracted to be consumed with the highest quality. In such a way that the greatest benefits are obtained but without harming the continuity of their species.

That said, below we will see the most consumed products according to their season.

Popular seafood in winter

In the winter months, the most in-demand and seasonal seafood include:

  • Scallops: product that triumphs in the hospitality industry. They are hard-shelled molluscs that are best consumed between November and March. They can be found on various coasts of the world, especially those of the Atlantic Ocean.
  • Crab: as seen in the previous report, this is a seafood product in high demand in the US as well. The Dungeness Crab (West Coast) is best consumed from November to January when the meat is more flavorful. The Stone Crab (Florida) are best consumed between October and May, shortly after being caught for a freshest taste. 

Popular seafood in summer

The seafood that is especially enjoyed at this time of year are the following:

  • Blue Crab: This is a type of crab found in the East coast, best consumed in warmer months, from April to October. In these months they are more abundant and the meat has more taste. 
  • Royal red prawns: this is a product not native to the US, they are found in the Mediterranean coast. However, as seen on the report, they have a great consumption in the country. Its capture is carried out in the western Mediterranean area between February or March and can extend until October or November. However, the availability can depend on the sourcing and distribution channels. 

Quality seafood for the whole year

The Argentine red shrimp is a product that can be enjoyed all year round, depending on the season of capture. For the freshwater fleets, the capture is carried out between November and March and for the freezer fleets this capture is carried out in Argentine waters between April and October. 

Even though it is a product not native to the US, in Krustagroup we implement optimal freezing and distribution systems to allow our products to be used for hospitality businesses at any time of the year. We use freezing to guarantee its freshness and quality throughout the year.



In this article, we delve into this new, more sustainable consumer profile, exploring the advantages...
There are great opportunities for growth and innovation in the Seafood Industry. For this reason,...

Contact us